Friday, December 16, 2011

November and December Interviews - Part Two

      We had our last day of Interviews today. After leaving the last District, we met the Assistants at Sweet CeCe's, a great frozen yogurt place on Bardstown, near the Mission Home and Office. Its one of those places where you get to make your own concoction, choosing out of multiple flavors and a plethora of toppings, paying by the ounce at the end. The Assistants hadn't had the experience before. Unlike Utah, there are few if any other places like this to be enjoyed. All four of us agreed we needed a sweet and refreshing treat, maybe not to celebrate it being over, but at least rewarding ourselves for all the time and effort the process has taken over the last three weeks. Talking to and interviewing almost 180 missionaries takes its toll on the old vocal chords as well as the energy levels for us, and for the Assistants, they likewise used up a goodly number of calories in the repeat performances, a.k.a. Training sessions. Elder Johnson said he had lost four pounds in the last few days from their energetic presentations, and also the fact that there was no time to eat between locations. But it was all worth it. I know I said it before, but we have the most wonderful and amazing missionaries in the world!
     For your information, the most common mending jobs I did for the missionaries was as follows, in order of frequency:
1. Mending the seam below the right pant pocket, split from their hands going in and out with cell phones, wallets, etc. As I predicted, for left-handers, it was the left pocket.
2. Pant hems that had come unsewn, either by normal use, or getting caught while riding their bike
3. Suit buttons
4. shirt buttons
5. shirt pockets that had torn or come apart
6. split seat area of pants
7. miscellaneous
     Some of the funnest and funniest mends were:
-the pants zipper that had come unsewn and been Super-Glued back in place
-the four pair of pants one Elder brought that were all split in the seat area, front to back (I can see how that would happen to one pair, but four?) He was happy to be able to remove all the safety pins that had been holding them together
-a pair of pants that had worn through on the top inner leg and to patch it, the Elder had used packing tape inside and out
        I also taught dozens of missionaries how to thread a needle, make a knot at the end of the thread, and end-tie when finished with the project. I taught many how to attach a button, re-stitch a hem, and do basic hole-repair. It made for some good and easy conversation, even with those who didn't bring anything to be fixed.
     We LOVE our missionaries!

(Again, my apologies for not putting the names yet.  As soon as I get a minute, [like two and half years from now :) ] I'll fill them in! )
Come on, Elders, I need a good one for the blog -
Remember your mom will be seeing this!
That's more like it!
        

No comments:

Post a Comment